San Francisco’s Presidio was home to a military base for over 100 years. The military base was disbanded in the 1980s, but the Presidio area which is now mostly used for recreational activities and by businesses, is still a walking museum of what was once a coastal defence outpost with mainly artillery units. This page has a collection of all the photos in the Presidio that were once meant to protect San Francisco from invasion in a number of wars.
The Mesa Room is located in the east wing of the Officers’ Club, and, along with the west wing (the de Anza Room), was probably constructed during the rebuilding and expansion of the Spanish fort’s central quadrangle between 1812-1815, following the earthquake of 1812. The remains of the quadrangle share the distinction, along with Mission Dolores further to the south, of being San Francisco’s oldest standing Colonial-era constructions. Currently, the Mesa Room contains exhibits from the current archaeological excavation efforts at El Presidio. Following the takeover of California by the United States in 1847, the American military elaborated and revised the fort but left earlier portions of architecture largely intact under new walls. In 2005, archaeologists peeled back sections of the modern drywall, revealing stenciled wall fabric from the 1930s, which was then peeled back to reveal woodwork from the early American period that was designed to make the thick adobe walls look like a wood frame building. Underneath the wood were the Spanish colonial adobe walls themselves, some of which possibly date as far back as 1791.
Originally constructed between 1910 and 1915, the structures of Fort Scott represent one of the finest examples of the Mission Revival Style. Although always physically a part of the Presidio of San Francisco, Fort Winfield Scott sometimes functioned as a separate military command. In 1912 Fort Scott was established as an independent coast artillery post and the headquarters of the Artillery District of San Francisco. The Fort had responsibility for all the seacoast defense batteries, torpedo or mine facilities and other supporting structures elsewhere in the Presidio.